New Bondi cafe opens to help mums stay healthy
Owner of Mr Perkins, Shari Wakefield chats to us about the inspiration behind the new cafe and her love of good food and how she manages opening a new cafe just week's after giving birth to her third child.
When starting your cafe why did you cater specifically for mums what was the inspiration or idea?
With a focus on easy, everyday eating we started Mr Perkins to deliver a fresh and filling way to grab a meal on the go. As a collective, we are all about feeling great, and we know that the food we eat plays a large part in that.
Feeling good about our bodies, the food we eat, and our life, are all intertwined. We make each and every soup, salad and pasta with absolute care and
attention to detail, using select ingredients, prepared with our home-style touch.
As a busy Mum of three young boys, I know that sometimes Mums forget about fuelling themselves (let alone, fuelling themselves in the right way). I wanted
Mr Perkins to be able to provided quick and healthy options for Mums to eat in or takeaway.
Our space is pram and breast-feeding friendly. And don’t worry if you’re unable to get out of the house with a newborn or with little ones, we deliver
to the East using UberEATS and Deliveroo.
2. What is on the menu that appeals to mums and their bubs and families in general?
At Mr Perkins, we believe that everything you eat becomes a part of your inner being, and also the outer fabric of your body. Our soups, salads and pastas
are chock full of fibre filled ingredients that provide a wide range of nutrients in one bowl.
My favourite item on the menu is the Asparagus and Watercress Soup with ginger chicken, roasted hazelnuts and tomato emulsion. Not only is every mouthful
full of flavour, but I love that watercress is a superfood -providing top-notch infection-fighting power to stave off colds and flu, help maintain
healthy connective tissue, and prevent iron deficiency.
My sons’ favourite item on the menu is the pasta – made to order. Some times they want the wholegrain penne (without the spicy sausage) and other times
they’ll ask for the shells (which is a great vegetarian option).
Our most popular item on the menu is our bone broth. And our upcoming health range will be the ideal zero-sugar/high fiber way to give your body a nutritious
3. Why did you choose Bondi to open?
We decided to open in Bondi because the space in the iconic Pacific Building is awesome (and who wouldn’t want to work beside the beach). And we felt that people in the area would appreciate the food that we are preparing due to their focus on health and well-being.
4. Three favourite things about having a business in Bondi?
Our three favourite things about having a business in Bondi would have to be:
1. The like-minded people - Success really is a team sport. Not having a like-minded community can make things for us difficult, unenjoyable, and it can take longer for us to achieve what we want. If we do stay connected to a highly supportive community, it will have a huge bearing on our ability to make the difference we want and also support others in reaching their health and wellness goals.
2. Being so close to the beach – Studies have concluded that there is an association between visiting the shore and overall wellness. Do you know that feeling of relaxation that overcomes your body when dig your toes in the sand? It’s not in your head. The ocean has been proven to inspire creative thinking, reduce anxiety, and promote compassionate thinking. And we think it isn’t a bad way to end a hot day, with a dip in the ocean.
3. No two days are the same – We love our locals and our business would not survive without them. But there is also a hard influx of transient people into Bondi throughout the year – it’s always interesting to meet backpackers and people on holiday (who can either make up our staff or customers who come in to enjoy our product).
5. How is Mr Perkins different from other cafes in the east, what have you tried to appeal to?
Mr Perkins is based on a concept of fostering more mindful eating, by focusing on quality soups, salads and pastas made with heart and integrity.
We advocate the powerful healing components of a fresh produce diet, which are always found in our seasonal range of soups, salads and pastas. And while it’s easier than ever to fall into a habit of convenient but ultimately under-nourishing foods, we believe that ‘fast’ and ‘nourishing’ can be one and the same.
Our recipes embrace a variety of cultures and regions that include a delicious line-up of flavours centred on holistic, seasonal eating. All of our stocks, broths and recipes are made from scratch utilising high quality, fresh produce. Made fresh everyday with the very best, finest and nourishing ingredients direct to you.
Mr Perkins 182 Campbell Parade Bondi Beach NSW 2026
Open 11:00am- 9:00pm Daily
SPECIAL OFFER FOR EASTERN SUBURBS MUMS